Big Data Center
Big Data Center
The Big Data Center (BDC) of China Medical University Hospital (CMUH) established the Clinical Research Data Repository in 2016 (Fig. 1).
BDC manages the largest phenome-genome-environmental data platform in Asia, encompassing 19-year EMR and environmental exposure data from 3 million patients and genetic information from 230 thousand patients, forming the solid foundation for generating high-resolution clinical data. Based on the divserse and abundant data, BDC aims to build a full-spectrum smart data ecosystem through the standardized data management pipeline and high-quality, protected clinical data analytic platform (Fig. 2).
Hence, the smart data platform, iHi Platform, was developed in 2020 to ignite hyper-intelligent data applications.
The iHi Platform is Taiwan's only innovative data platform that combines clinical, genetic, and environmental data. It provides researchers with clean, integrated, and de-identified data through a cloud-based platform, thereby solving the problem of cluttered data and low accessibility and creating a venue for infinite artificial intelligence (Fig. 3).
The high-quality medical big data provided by the iHi Platform can facilitate clinical researchers’ efficient workflow and generate great insights. Ultimately, those insights provide feedback to clinical settings and improve medical quality and patient health.
Additionally, the iHi Platform was created based on a patient-centered medical data ecosystem and easy-to-expand multi-omics clinical data for education, research, and clinical or business application. The researchers can get remote and secured access to the iHi Platform through virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) (Fig. 4).
The iHi Platform provides the only ISO and CNS double-certified de-identified medical data in Taiwan. All data provided in the iHi Platform were processed through the standardized data management pipeline and modularized into multiple LEGO-like data bricks. The modular design of multi-omics and multi-dimensional datasets can facilitate researchers in building the customized theme database and analysis pipeline (Fig. 5).
BDC's achievements have been recognized by many leading scholars from diverse fields worldwide (Fig. 6).
We will continue to implement the “double data triangle” that consists of data-insight-practice and research-policy-business to realize the next-generation revolution of translational medical research, artificial intelligence, clinical education and the intelligent healthcare industry at the international level (Fig. 7).
Honors and Achievements
- Established Big Data Center
- Received gold prize of Innovated Application Award for Acute Kidney Injury Detection System from Minister of Health in Taiwan
- As the only institution in Asia to receive invitation for exclusive video interview from American Society of Nephrology to demonstrate kidney data intelligence (https://www.cmuh.cmu.edu.tw/Department/History?depid=147#)
- As the first medical center to link the EMR data with National Death Registry to fully describe mortality outcome
- Created a high-resolution nationwide PM2.5 exposure map and linked with EMR
- Predictive intelligence for chronic kidney disease by renal ultrasound published in Nature Digital Medicine (IF 15.537)
- Received Taiwan patent for Acute Kidney Injury Detection System
- As the first medical center to acquire ISO 29100 & 29191 and CNS 29100-2 for medical data de-identification
- Preoperative blood glucose and hospital stay days study published in Diabetes Care (IF 19.112)
- Collaborated with Asia University to receive 4-year NSC grant of "Cross-Domain Development and Value-Added Applications of Clinical Databases and AI " for the "Strong Kidney Initiative" project
- Signed NDA with a dialysis device company in Singapore
- Launched iHi Platform that includes deep-cleaned, integrated, and diverse e-medical records and environmental data from 3 million patients with 19-year follow-up
- Promoted the business contract between Ever Fortune. AI Co. and a dialysis device company in Singapore that worth 38 million USD
- Collaborated with BPM Co. to investigate the novel biomarker for acute kidney injury and presented in European Renal Association 2022 (https://udn.com/news/story/7241/6314980)
- Established “iHi Genomics” analytic platform that integrated genotype data and clinical phenotypes from 230,000 patients
Received two 3-year NSC grants for cardiology and nephrology research.
- Collaborated with Ever Fortune. AI Co. to develop an intelligent cardiothoracic ratio estimation system, which the US FDA (K212624) and Taiwan TFDA (007443) approved as a software as a medical device.
- Received Catalyst Award of 2023 Healthy Longevity Grand Challenge Competition for "Deep Kidney Aging Clock" granted by US National Academy of Medicine and Academia Sinica. (https://news.gbimonthly.com/tw/article/show.php?num=53399)
- Received Symbol of National Quality (SNQ) Award for "Big Data Center".
- Received 19th National Innovation Award for " iHi Platform" and was selected as top 7 for pitch demo.
- Accumulated 80 international journal publications, with at least 20 papers in high-impact journals (IF>10 or 10% of the field).
- Accumulated 1 US and 4 Taiwan patents for data and AI intelligence tools.
- Received National Healthcare Quality Award (NHQA) Silver Award and Symbol of National Quality (SNQ) Award for "iHi Platform".