The Department of Metabolism integrates endocrinology and diabetes researches in epidemiology, genomics and cytology, and clinical services, and collaborates Department of Nuclear Medicine, Department of Radiology, Department of Endocrinology (Specialist Ward and Intensive Care Unit), Critical Care Center, Department of Laboratory Medicine, Preventive Medicine Center, International Metabolic Medical Center, Molecular and Genome Epidemiology Research Center and Chinese Medicine in clinical services. In terms of the remote medicine for diabetes, the Department provides appropriate diagnosis and treatment for metabolic patients through the primary cares and inter-hospital cooperation, and reaches excellent medical and research achievements. At present, it operates the out-patient clinic for about 7,400 diabetes patients a month. It has reached a number of performance indicators as outstanding as those of excellent diabetes centers, such as the nephropathy screening rate and early nephropathy treatment, the early detection of peripheral vascular diseases and early prevention and treatment of retina, the introduction of routine computer-assisted health education, and so on.
Excellent Diabetes Center
- After the approval of daytime outpatient clinic, the patient can be screened the peripheral infarction artery in the clinic. The referral treatment rate of peripheral vascular disease reaches 81% as high as the level in Asia. It significantly reduces the problems due to the delay of screening and examination.
- 90.5% patients in the daytime outpatient clinic can receive the confirmed the blood glucose and lipid indexes. The one-stop health education promotes the effectiveness of diabetes care.
- For the diabetic patients requiring weight control, the CMUH sets the Obesity Prevention and Exercise Center, the Metabolic Medical Center, the weight-loss surgical clinic and the professional nutritionist consultation clinic to support a wide range of treatments.
- Thyroid and Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology Examination: To provide accurate detection of thyroid nodules. The thyroid ultrasound probe is a high-resolution ultrasound model, and the color Doppler ultrasound can also be combined to improve the examination quality and diagnostic accuracy. With ultrasound guided puncture equipment, the fine needle aspiration cell examination accuracy for thyroid and parathyroid tumors can be increased significantly.
- I-131 Radiation Isolation Ward: The ward is dedicated to perform the high-dose atomic iodine treatment of thyroid cancer in the central Taiwan. It can save the time for patients waiting radiation isolation wards.
The Department won 5 national thesis awards. Recently, it has published more than 30 papers and 41 conference papers. It cooperated with Academia Sinica to research and find the type 2 diabetes susceptibility gene of Chinese is located near the chromosome 9, the protein tyrosine phosphatase receptor type D (PTPRD), and the chromosome 17, serine racemase (SRR), leading the world. In terms of pharmacological research, it discovered that the SNPs of type 2 diabetes, in the intron 4 of PRKD1 (rs57803087), was strongly correlated with DPP-4 inhibitor. This is a new discovery in the pharmacokinetic researches in Taiwan diabetic population for the treatments of DPP-4 inhibitor on diabetes in pharmacogenomics. In terms of genomics, it discovered the KCNQ1 gene mutations are associated with hypertension in patients with type 2 diabetes. Patients with genetic mutations have different risks of hypertension. It shall be the new opportunities for prevention and treatment.